Re: [RC] Wild Horses Letter in NY Times..on the mark - Sisu West Ranch

"...Senator Conrad Burns of Montana, by attaching a rider to the appropriations
bill allowing wild horses to be sent to slaughter, has gutted the Wild Free-Roaming
Horse and Burro Act and condemned so-called surplus and unadoptable wild
horses to a ghoulish death..."

I saw a tape of Conrad Burns explaining his rider last night on KCEI Missoula. This article is typical NY Times BS. They are deliberately using inflamatory language, misdirection, and a host of other techniques to cloud the issue. I wonder where these people think the beef they eat comes from? I'll bet they think it comes from the supermarket.

He is a caring man that understands that all free roaming animals (horses, burros, elk, deer, antalope, buffalo, etc.) need to be managed to remain healthy and to protect the land. People should face the fact that unless 200 million of us are willing to move to some other country, free roaming animals need to be managed. Rranchers use of federal land is managed now. The management is improving every year.

Ed

PS. I am not, and never have been a rancher. I love and care for my small amount of land. I support wise management of forests and range land. I want free roaming horses to have a good life with adequate food. I hate to see free roaming animals starve to death. (I would like to take some of the people who write this type of article into an overpopulated ecosystem some spring to actually see the starved and starving animals. I have seen this in WI deer herds.)
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640