Re: [RC] Wild Horses Letter in NY Times..on the mark - heidi

If it weren't for the cattle farmers trying to get more grazing, paid
for by our tax dollars, these horses wouldn't be in holding pens right
now and we would not be faced with this dilema.

First off, cattle numbers are closely regulated on public lands, and
cattle grazing is seasonal, allowed only when the resource can handle
grazing (and quite frankly NEEDS grazing to keep the grasses healthy).
Horses are on the ranges year around, and I've already cited the fact that
they can outgraze and outbrowse every natural ruminant species that
populates our public lands.  (You can go to several sources for
corroboration of that fact.)

Secondly, horses have no hunting season to control their numbers and are
far better able to deal with natural predators than are the natural
inhabitants of our public lands, which means that they pretty much
reproduce unchecked unless WE round them up.

Thirdly, as a horseman, I find it abhorrant to leave unchecked horses to
starve during harsh winters or to die of dehydration during drought years.
Perhaps, since you agree with Ms. Ryden, you find these things to be
acceptable and palatable.  I don't.

Fourthly, when we DO round up these horses to both preserve the resources
and to keep their numbers from becoming a danger to those which remain, a
certain number will be unadoptable.  Do you propose to simply keep
building more and bigger holding facilities, so that such animals (many of
which do NOT lead comfortable lives in captivity) can simply live out
their days until they die of old age?  I find that approach totally
irresponsible and unethical.

None of us "likes" horse slaughter.  But a quick death is preferable to
the other alternatives, in many cases.

Those ARE "the facts, ma'am."  And no matter how much you don't like them,
they are the reality with which we live when it comes to managing feral
horses.  I don't expect to change your mind, either--it is clearly closed
to solutions to the problem.  I'm glad to see that other ridecamp readers
appear to be more aware of the complexities of this issue.

Heidi