Re: [RC] At the end of my rope.. - DaNel Resha

Now that said, the person watching the tapes and reading the books has to
have some basic understanding of the animal they are working with.

Cathy, What you said here is very important.

Many people take the different training methods that the Pro's give us and think that they are then able to work and train horses even though they have never seen a horse before.  The methods on the videos and the books that are from the Pros are for people that have a clue about horses, can understand horses to a degree and want to better their skills with horses.  Just because they read lots of books and watch lots of Videos and DVD does not make them a horse person.  They can attempt to mimic the Pro's all day long but without actual Horse Knowledge they end up making things worse.

I've heard a few comments that the Parelli methods have made certain horses crazy.  Well, if the person actually understood horses before they attempted the Parelli methods then this would never happen.  Many people buy the Parelli kits thinking that they can learn about horses.  ON top of that they take a young green broke horse that was given to them or a horse with problems and attempt to learn to ride.  Pat Parelli stresses to use your easiest horse for his program.  To not try to train a young horse or a problem horse until you are well into lvl 4.  Many people overlook this and start a young or problem horse with lvl 1 and they themselves do not know a thing about horses.  They feel the pocket guides, DVD's, and videos can teach them all they need to know to train a young horse.

Lyons, Anderson, Parelli all have good Natural Techniques and they are all similar but different.  I'm sure that there are others out there with thier skills that are just not known about yet.  But the methods that they teach are for people that understand horses.

But if someone does not have horse knowledge then no matter how many videos they watch they could end up still getting hurt.

DaNel

DaNel Resha
Darswinkle's Delights

www.darswinkles-delights.com  for gift giving needs