Re: [RC] Cold vs. Warm weather endurance rides - Sisu West Ranch

Cold endurance rides.

1. Rump rug.  Make or purchase a good one.  Fleece or wool.  Rain proof covering if it will be wet.  Many people put them on at the start, and then roll them up when the horse warms up.  I keep mine rolled up until I slow down for a check.

2. Blanket at checks.  I immediately strip tack, and put a wool lined blanket on.  Manyt people do not strip, but I think that is wrong.  Last spring at Ft. Howes I was part of a crew for a horse that easily chills.  The chilling problem did not go away until I got a wool liner and convinced them to strip tack.  If the horse is hot enough to need cooling, leave the blanket on the rump and allow to cool on front end.  Note: I have seen front runners pouring water on the front of a blanketed horse.  The vet will require no blanket at the trot, remove, trot, and put the blanket back on.
During the check keep the blanket on and walk the horse periodically.  This prevents stiffening.  Have spare dry blankets or pads for when you resaddle.
3. After the ride walk periodically, and blanket heavily.  Remove some layers or add more as the temperature changes and the horse cooles or gets warm.  A quick feel under a blanket will tell if the horse is sweating.  I like to have a lot of different blankets so I can adjust the number and kind to conditions.  Polar fleece coolers are great at checks.

You:
Get a crew if at all possible.  You can't leave a horse very long to get warm yourself.  Use layers while riding removing and replacing, so you don't sweat excessivly.  Put on a coat when you blanket your horse.  Good gloves.  If it is wet neoprene gloves (sold to duck hunters and ice fishermen Cabella's cataloge has a good selection) will keep your hands from freezing.  Consider putting gloves on a string like you do for little kids.  Prevents you from losing them when you have to remove them.  Inner very thin gloves (so called Pall bearer gloves, or anti contact gloves) will allow your hands to have a little protection when you shed outer gloves.  Probably not needed in Texas

Eat.  Food keeps one warm

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road