[RC] xracehorses in endurance - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Amy Johnson tracktotrail2@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I personally love this topic. I have been working with arabian race horses
since the mid 1980's when we were on the fair circiuts in California . My first
endurance horse mare was off the track. She loved endurance. I have recently
had the privlidge of working with some very fine ex-racehorses from Cre Run
farm. I have trained and sold several of them. All are doing well. The only con
is that you have to have the sensitivity to the life style that they just came
from I work with horses that were trained by Lynn Ashby and she takes her
horses to Fair Hill to train also so most of these guys are already used to
being off the track and on the trails It is good for their minds. If you look
at the top riders in the USA a lot of them are ridiing ex race horses or race
bred arabs.. These guys love to go. I always do some basic dressage with them
at first to get them to move better and learn that running on the forehand is
not the only way to go. I know when I look for my second horse I will be
looking at a ex race horse probably from Cre run farms or Marlyn Meadows.
These horses are used to going places and they adapt easily.
I also find if they do not make it on the track it is not because they
breakdown, all the ones I have trained were rock solid, They just did not
really like it. But you get them on the trail and they just love the variety.
Arabs can get bored easily.
This is just my experience with the people I have worked with.
Amy