Re: [RC] cold feet and hands - Sisu West Ranch

Don't blame the gloves or socks or shoes.  There is an old saying "if your feet are cold put on a hat".  Actually it goes deeper than that.

People, as opposed to most mammals, have lost the reflex that keeps dog's feet from freezing.  Most mammals when their extrematies get cold, vasoconstrict to slow heat loss, but when the feet get cold enough the arteries open up and let enough blood flow to keep frostbite away.  Unfortunately, almost all people have not retained this reflex.  This means that when your hands and feet get cold, or you get cold in general the blood flow stops in them and does not start again until your main body gets quite warm.  The exception is the head.  Since, restricting blood to the brain is very counterproductive, your head remains warm and is loosing heat.

The way to keep your hands and feet warm is to put on a good hat, and enough insulation on the body to keep the body really warm.  Not just enough to say "but except for my hands I was warm enough".  For the outside put on good polypropylene or silk underwear, other warm long johns, and layers of sweaters or polar fleece, a vest and a suitable coat.  The outer layers can be opened to ventilate the body when you start to sweat, and if you really get hot take off some layers.

Unless, you have a circulation problem (like my mom's diabeties) your hands will be warm, if your body is warm.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875