[RC] Water de-icers-Temperature - Ag47xAu49

I bought a new drain plug de-icer  this year and as I type, my water tank is at 68 degrees. Outside temp is 24 degrees. I think it is not working properly. I thought they were supposed to keep the water at 40 degrees.  It is made by Farm Innovators. Has anyone else had a problem with this unit? It is Model # DPH 15 1500 watt 12.5 Amp. My poor fish are probably starving since they haven't gone into hibernation yet due to the warm water. When I first checked about a month ago, just after putting it in, the temp was 50 degrees. I would say I have a faulty unit. Beccy in Fridgid Ut.