[RC] Happy Thanksgiving - Maryanne Gabbani

My godfather emailed me yesterday in response to a general SOS that I sent out when my address book went missing from my computer. Luckily I could find many of the email addresses so that the phone numbers and snail mail could be obtained. One of the questions that he had for me was whether we have turkeys here or if I have to go to Istanbul for them...bad sense of humour. We do indeed have turkeys in Egypt and they put on a wonderful show sometimes by the farmers' huts, strutting and gobbling around with blue faces and enormous wattles. But we don't have Thanksgiving as the feast of the last Thursday of November.

Only last week we had the Eid el Fitr which was the feast for the end of Ramadan, during which everyone visits family and eats kilos of cookies, if they don't take off for resorts to catch the last of the fall heat. I stayed home for the feast since Jack Leonard was here and was treating Dorika's sesamoiditis (see? it is horsey!) and I'll be around for the weekend of Thanksgiving. The American University in Cairo, most of the American companies and the American school take tomorrow off and I've been invited to friends' homes to enjoy the American feast. Nice of them to take in a Canadian who forgot entirely about her own Thanksgiving.

So while all of you are packing in the pumpkin pie and turkey, I'll be wishing you all well and telling my local turkeys to be very thankful that they are Egyptian and thus gaining a few weeks of wellbeing.

All the best,

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
http://www.alsorat.com