Re: [RC] Gaited horses-downhll - Peggety123

After riding a couple of Arabs over the past year, I have to say that I do feel much safer and secure going downhill on a gaited horse....there's just something about how they reach under from behind with their legs on the hill - you're almost parallel to the ground below as you ride down which is a very secure feeling.  My foxtrotter really knows how to use his hind end and keep the weight mostly on his hindquarters and less on the forehand - it's just effortless to him.  Don't get me wrong though - I love my Arabs too!  I find them easier to keep conditioned which is a big plus when you that work thing gets in the way or with the shorter days we have now and there's just not all that good riding time anymore.
My foxtrotter requires more devotion to conditioning rides to keep his recoveries at their best.  In his peak of condition though, he can recover like most average Arabs.
And then there's that big ground covering walk that's to die for!  A good memory I have is foxtrotting for somewhere around 6 miles across the desert on the flat on the Death Valley ride - that was pure nirvana to me, and him!

Peggy and her herd (White Cloud's Lucky Star, and Dakota)
West