Re: [RC] RC] competing gaited horses - heidi

Gaited horses are well known for their ability to "run" downhills.
Their four-beat gait provides more stability and presumably less stress
on the legs.

That is not meant as a disparagement of other breeds. Indeed there are
arabs that can also "fly" downhill, although it is my understanding
that many of them actually do a four-beat gait to manage this.

The bottom line to this is the ability to round the back and get the
hindquarters well underneath the body.  It is a balance thing.  Horses
with "big trots" with their heads way up in the air tend to be too
hollowed to accomplish this easily, and end up heavy on the forehand.

Paul, you're right that the Arabs that can flat fly downhill do often have
a tendency to dissociate their trots into a clearly four-beat gait.  I've
had the privilege of riding several such horses, and they frequently can
go faster downhill at the "trot" than they do on the flat.  And I've also
found that once a rider knows what this sensation feels like, it becomes
easier to teach subsequent horses how to do it, provided they have
adequate back and body conformation to accomplish it, even if they don't
do it "right out of the box" as some do.

Downhill work on a well-balanced horse is metabolically so much easier for
the horse that it is a GREAT place to make time and leave the competition
in the dirt.  :-)  Many people do not teach their horses how to go
downhill properly and easily (and quite a few of the loooong-bodied modern
horses have difficulty with it anyway), so if you've done your homework,
you can really cash in on this one on the trail.  One of the guys I'm
riding now didn't have all that much downhill aptitude--but I've been
utterly amazed how even he has improved his downhill skills after a couple
of years on the trail, having been encouraged to round and get on his
hindquarters.  He is a big, heavy-bodied horse, so going uphill takes the
stuffings out of him--sure is nice to be able to make up for it boogeying
down the other side!  (Except that my husband is always hollering at me to
wait up for him on the downhills when he's riding a green one!)

Heidi