Re: [RC] Fw: LOVE Ride update - Kristen A Fisher

I am glad to hear that her mare is going to be OK - but can you give us some background on what happened [sounds like she came down with something] - maybe info we can use if we have warning signs...

Kristen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 2:06 PM
Subject: [RC] Fw: LOVE Ride update

For those of you that heard there was a problem at the ride, I wanted to send you this message from Barbara.

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your call of last week regarding my mare Rebecca.  She is on oral antibiotics for a few more days and seems to be back to her normal, vibrant, healthy self.  Needless to say, I am delighted about this and extremely grateful to Craig and Michele for saving her life.

I am concerned about one thing, however, and I need your help/advice on this.  Approximately ten 50 milers rode by us when Rebecca was on the ground.  I was elevating her head (for some reason, I felt if I let her head drop she would die on the spot) and it was not a pretty sight for those eagerly anticipating their own ride finish just a few miles away.  Everyone offered to help, but there was nothing they could do except spread the word when they arrived in camp that a horse was down and needed veterinary attention.  Having seen a dead horse along the trail years ago, and then passing his rider carrying his saddle back to base camp, I know how sobering the sight is.  I would like to reassure those people that all is well and that Rebecca is making a total recovery.

I notice in my file that our vet cards from last year were returned to us.  I can't remember if a note was sent with them or not.  If you plan to return them this year and are writing a letter to accompany them, would you indicate that all horses treated at the ride are now fine?  (I'm assuming this is true - I know Duncan, the Hanoverian, is fine.)

OR, if that doesn't work, when you have compiled the results list for AERC could you e-mail me a copy?  Unfortunately, I did not know any of those people (or if I did I was distraught and did not recognize them) but I think I can figure them out by their order of finish.  I could then drop them a note, thanking them for their concern and saying the ending was a happy one.

Thanks, Kathy, for your thoughts on this.  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Feed those big jeep driving boys of yours lots of turkey - they are great!

Yours,
  Barbara