Re: [RC] [RC] Help with kicking leaping bolter - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

-- "Christina McCarthy" <christina_mccarthy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wonder if he is hurting in his hind legs???

Well, he's hurting the riding instructor, and a couple of horses he's kicked
but he looks like they feel pretty good to him. :-P  He really trots along
quite fluidly. His field is steep and when the new horses came to live here
they inched their way down every day. Just in the last week I've noticed
they've both developed the ability to do it at a very loose shouldered,rump
under them trot as if it takes no effort at all. He's a typical green horse.
Acts like I weigh a ton as he trudges up a hill but goes along very nicely on
the level. Has a natural gentle arch to the neck, very level short back, no
problem with hollowing out or anything except in the one run away. Will add
that when he leaped, I never would have called it bucking. No stiff legging it
on impact, no head down. Had some great upper arm bruises to show the students
today. Told them Bill attacked me. >eg< Anybody who's met Bill knows that got
some stunned looks then laughs when they realized I was kidding. :-)

I had a student who survived a very bad car wreck last week because he was
buckled. My class is going to produce a "Public Service Announcement" with
video of him & the flattened truck warning students not to speed & to buckle
up. The students suggested they do another of me and warn young people not to
ride horses. >g<

I've decided everything always seems to happen for the best with me so this is
probably just God's way of saying it's a good time for me to learn how to
really train a horse. I've gotten away with winging it for sooo long. It's hard
though when it seems like everybody who gets started with it gets so obsessed
with their clinics and that becomes their hobby, as opposed to those people who
are out there doing everything "wrong" (successfully) having a blast on the
trail. :-P I will make a promise. You will *not* see me riding a horse in a
halter. Period!

Angie