Re: [RC] Help with kicking leaping bolter - Sundaez

Personally it doesn't sound like a "lack of respect" issue to me. It sounds like a higly reactive, more to the feral side, type of horse. He kicks to protect then bolts...he's scared and has a high sense of self preservation. A "bully bolter" isn't scared...he learns to run through the bit, same thing with a kicker that is doing it becuase of lack of respect...he aims and shoots. This horse sounds scared and not sure what to do when he gets startled and afraid.

Once he learns to trust his rider as knowing best he'll probably get better, but he'll probably always have a bit of that reactive side in him.

I've seen the same behavior in Icelandics that were raised in a herd until age 5. They are like wild horses in some ways....and revert to that when they feel pressure....external or otherwise.

JMO...nothing more.

Mel