[RC] Sliester hackamore - Kelly Lane

Hello all-

 I was hoping for some guidance from those that use a hackamore.I just purchased a Sliester hackamore and am a little unsure of the adjustments. I have the noseband in what I think is the correct spot-according to the archives-but what about the adjustment to the curb chain? Is it supposed to be loose and if so how loose? Right now 3 fingers can fit comfortably in the space. It's a bit concerning as I'm used to a snugger chinstrap.

Where is the curb chain supposed to hang/rest under? Directly under the groove of the chin? Mine is a bit higher now.

Should the curb chain be covered with another material to protect her from gouging or do most of you replace it with another type of strap?

I see that Sliester has a variety of nosebands available from leather to rawhide to rubber chain covered. I ordered the stainless steel brown leather model without realizing that I could order different colors/styles. Has anyone switched out the noseband and it is easy to do? At a glance, it looks like I have to undo the tight leather lacing on the noseband.

 What are the pros and cons of each noseband-rawhide, leather, rubber covered bicycle chain?

I'm a bit nervous with the transition as when excited my mare can sometimes be slow to respond or listen. It takes her a few miles of the first loop to settle in. In all fairness, she and I have come a long way from the nonstop spooking, shying, bolting of the first year. Through lessons and lots of trail riding at various speeds, we have really improved. She is very sensitive to seat and leg aids and in most circumstances listens well.  My main concern is her listening in a very excitable or unpredictable situation as she has shown a tendency to run at trouble. With a bit, I feel comfortable bringing her focus back on me. However, I wanted to move to a hackamore to make it easier for her to eat on the trail.

All pointers are greatly appreciated!

Kel

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=