[RC] Starting an older horse - Marv Walker

When people ask me about starting "older horses" I just sort of assume
they are talking about horses at least in their teens... :-)  And our
experience with starting older broodmares has been that in general, they
are ready to burn their bras and GET A LIFE, and are utterly THRILLED to
have something to do, once they get past the "independent broodmare"
mindset and realize just what you are offering them!  (And as a part of
getting past that "independent broodmare" mindset, we've found it best to
go right out on the trails and get to work, once they've accepted saddle,
bridle, and rider, rather than doing a bunch of drilling of mundane
details--they catch on quick, and they get bored going around in circles.)

All horses get bored with mundane details and going around in circles
when there is no purpose in doing the drilling and circles.  Drilling
and circles (read - getting the horse to do everything from the ground
you will want the horse to do from the saddle) in a well thought out
sequence with definite goals is never boring and absolutely crucial to
rapid minimal hassle training.

Marv "When the horse demonstrates it's got it, accept it!" Walker