Re: [RC] Endurance Vs. CTR - heidi

The reason I choose to start a horse with slow Endurance rather than a
CT where I might actually place at something during his early career is
that I don't like the limitations on how I can care for my horse. If I
did CT he would have to be tied to the trailer like the other horses
instead of walking around in a corral or on a high line, I couldn't have
a crew with sponge water, etc meet me on the trail, unless they've
changed it I couldn't dose him with electrolytes or get off and lead him
down a long steep grade, seems like they even had limitations on type of
pads or easyboots used?...all things I want to do if needed that I feel
show better  horsemanship. They make a big deal over you learning to
hold a proper pace but so far I haven't had two horses whose ideal pace
was the same.

Angie, I'm much the same way you are--and in starting green horses, I also
like to be able to go SLOWER than CTR pace at times.  But the horses I
rode CTR on in my early years flat got bored with it--as you say, each
horse has his own ideal pace, and it may be faster than CTR speeds.

I also think the "forward progress when mounted" varies somewhat between
CTR organizations--I know that when I rode, the organization required
being mounted and moving forward for the last two miles (ie you couldn't
go really really fast and then hang out just before the finish line), but
did allow for some individual disgression at bad spots on the trail.
Areas where the RM felt that some people might want to get off and lead
were signed and were discussed at the ride briefing, and riders were
allowed off at those points.  This might not be true of all CTR
organizations, though.

I think the value of CTR for people who are apt in the future to prefer
endurance lies in the teaching aspect--I know I still ride with a lot of
endurance riders who cannot accurately state how fast they are going
unless they have a GPS.  Nothing against gadgets--but I do think it
behooves one to have a general idea of "how fast is fast" even without
gadgets.  I suspect most of us have a clue whether or not we are speeding
through a school zone, just by knowing what gear our car is in, and
listening to how hard the engine is working, and seeing how fast the
scenery is whizzing by, without ever looking at the speedometer.  The
gadgets are wonderful for fine-tuning--but for people who have difficulty
getting that "gut feeling" about pacing, CTR is a good learning tool.

Like you, and like a great many endurance riders, I prefer to be able to
alter my protocol about a great many things to better suit my individual
horse and the specific day/trail.  But knowing what to do when is
something that comes with experience.  For those who have not yet had the
opportunity to learn the things you mention, CTR can still be a good
"school."

Heidi