Re: [RC] Starting an older mare - Tiffany D'Virgilio

I have two rescued mares, both of whom were broken later in life. The one I started myself was extremely easy with everything. Has never bucked ever. Not even when I rode her to try her out at the feedlot. I later found out the 7 year old mare had never been sat on. I figured at that point she was a keeper. Both seemed happy to have a job, and seemed emotionally to handle everything in stride. I like the maturity and also liked the fact that neither horse had been ridden too much at too young an age. The AHRN started many older horses and I know of several that have gone on to do very well.
Plus all the bones and ligaments are fully grown.
One mare has been doing 50's for three years, the other I want to get out on some 50's later this year.
Good luck,
Tiffany