[RC] Starting an older mare - Becky Rohwer

 I'm interested in hearing comments from people who have started an older horse under saddle.  I just picked up a nice 9 yo registered Arab mare.  She was supposedly started, but only ridden 3 times.  She has had 3 foals.  She is very sweet and fairly calm, but can be a little skiddish around some new things.  I just had shoes put on and even though she was nervous she did OK.  Farrier is thinking this might be her first shoeing.  I am also sending her to a trainer this Monday as I don't want to take this on myself.
I'm just wondering if any of you have had a similar situation and how sucessful was it.  I'm thinking that even though she is older, being an Arab, at least by now she has some brains.  ;-)

Thanks,
Becky R. - Montana