Re: [RC] horse blankets - Sisu West Ranch

"...allow moisture to transpire through it, but wool does a better job of it, or is something different going on with the wool that makes it more suitable for getting the horses to dry off? Whatever is happening, I guess I'd better hit the thrift stores for some old wool blankets. Now, for rump rugs, is the polyester fleece better than the wool?..."

The advantage of wool for an inner blanket is that it does absorb some of the moisture, release a little heat (not significant in a saddle blanket, but probably significant during the 10 or 20 minutes you are cooling a horse), and does not collapse and loose all of its insulating properties with a little water (cotton is the king of this).

I usually use polyester fleece for rump rugs, because I want them to work all day.  Polyester does not absorb any significant amount of water, so its properties do not change over the course of a day.

By the way,  both of these fibers do a great job in both applications.  I am talking about what I consider "noticable" differences, say about a 20% difference in performance.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875