[RC] Re:Sciatica - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary, D.C. bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mary--
Allow me to comment on your dilemma about your sciatica. First of all, true
sciatica is actually quite rare, although pain in the leg is very common. True
sciatica has certain characteristics that must be present for it to be
diagnosed. You would likely have symptoms that accompany your leg pain, such as
markedly increased pain during a cough or sneeze, and the inability to lie on
your back and  have someone lift the painful leg (while straight) beyond 75
degrees. You might also have a feeling of weakness in the affected leg, and
possibly even some tingling or numbness in the toes.
 Be wary of anyone predicting at the outset how much treatment you will need.
I'm guessing this doctor recommended a lengthy treatment program with a
significant discount if you pay up front? Be careful.
 A couple of things you should be aware of. All the textbooks agree that xray
findings do not correlate with pain findings. There are people who have nasty,
curved, arthritic-looking spines who are pain free, and those with nice clean
straight spines who are in agony. The old model of vertebrae being displaced
(and subsequently re-placed with manipulation) has been discarded, largely due
to the evidence provided by MRI and other imaging methods. Manipulation is
still an extremely effective tool when practiced by a skilled person. It just
works differently than we once thought.
 I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are suffering from one
of two common patterns of back pain. The first, and most common, is called a
sacroiliac syndrome, named after the two large joints of the pelvis, the
sacroiliac joints. They are located at the base of the spine, directly
underneath the "dimples" you see when people are wearing a bathing suit. Or
thong, or whatever. With this problem, the pain is usually over the sacroiliac
joint, hurts to sit down and rise from a chair,is worse on rising in the
morning but improves a bit with activity, doesn't hurt much with cough/sneeze,
and if it goes down the leg,                            it won't usually pass
the knee.
 The other most common back pain is the disc syndrome. This situation is
different in that you usually feel better in the morning and worsen with
activity, you have more pain on cough/sneeze, and your leg pain may go all the
way to the foot.
 There are some variations on these, but they are still usually pretty
distinct. The good news is both situations usually resolve, and much more
quickly with proper treatment. Exercise alone will not "fix" a back problem,
for various reasons I won't go into here. They do help, however, after you have
recovered.
 In short, I would use ice, and if there is not 75% or more relief within 48
hours, get another opinion from a reputable chiropractor. A really good
chiropractor is still your best bet for recovery. It's finding him that's the
hard part. I tell people to ask their medical doctor for a referral, as they
will usually know the good ones, or at least who the bad ones are. Hope this
helps,  Bruce Weary, D.C.