[RC] preventing a bad back - Laura Hayes

Back problems are everywhere, and after suffering through my first one ever, this fall, I thought I would share what I am doing and will continue to do to keep my back healthy.

  I went my family doctor who determined I did not have a herniated disc or other serious spinal problem.  My ailment was acute sciatica, due I was told, to abusing my back for too long.  I then found a chiropractor that I really like, a woman about my age who understood that I rode long distance and shoed horses, and that I HAD to get better before I flew out to ride Bryce Canyon!  I went to her three times a week for two weeks, started to feel better and got a new very firm mattress.

In the mean time I spent all day at Borders bookstore and read all the books on back exercises over several cups of coffee!  Most of them were common sense stretches and easy to understand and implement.  I started them twice daily, before bed and first thing in the morning.

So far so good, but I have quit shoeing - I am not interested in feeling like I did, if I can avoid it.

BTW, my mom is 80, has been doing her own version of pilates yoga for 25 years and works like a dog.  One day I drove in to find she had filled all the potholes in her 1/4 mile gravel driveway with a shovel and wheelbarrow- at 79!!!.  We should all be so lucky, but it is worth looking into the yoga!

Laura Hayes AERC#2741