[RC] conditioning maintaining - larry Miller

Pretty hard question to answer.  Each horse is an individual so each horse's needs will be different.  So one has to figure out what will work best for each horse.  LSD is a must.  Once that is done, then sprints really help.  I would guess about 4 sprints for 9 - 10 miles.  My sprints are anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a mile and they are full out.  I get the heart rate as high as possible but it takes half mile hill to get Maggie over 200.  Then I see how long it takes her to recover.  I usually walk and watch the HM for 1 - 2 min.  If the horse recovers to the low 100s in a minute and a half, I figure she is fit.  Usually the recoveries are much faster.  If it takes 2 min to recover to the low 100s, then I don't do that particular sprint again that day.  Figure it was too much.  Read the horse, the horse will tell you when you are doing too much in between.  The horse will get dull, try to bite you, be flat, etc, on training rides and on the rides themselves.  Once I figure my horse is in shape, if I can go to a ride every other week, then I don't do much in between.  Just 2  or 3 rides, maybe a slow one (6 -7 mph), a faster one.  Don't do much over 10 miles either for each ride.  I just make sure the horse is sound and healthy.  At the ride itself, I usually do at least 50 miles.  Each horse will have its various signs which one should watch for.  My old horse got dull in the coat when I was doing too much,  he also would try to bite me!, if my mare loses interest in snarling at the neighbor's horse, then I know  I am doing too much or if she isn't willing to move out coming home is another sign.  Conclusion is that there is no set way to determine whether one is doing too much or not enough, it all depends on the horse and it is each rider's job to figure out what is best for one's horse.  Jeanie