[RC] Standardbreds - my experience - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kirsten Seyferth scatris@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had the pleasure of riding a Standardbred mare (Seventeen, aka Annie) in
endurance for a while, we did about 10 rides (incl. a 2day 100) between '00 and
'03, and I can only encourage anyone who's thinking about giving a Standardbred
a try.
I have no idea where Annie originally came from, but she always had a lot of
go, never got tired of going down the trail. Always looking forward to find out
what's on the other side of the mountain. Very steady and surefooted, and lots
of heart! She's one of those horses that really enjoy to move. I remember one
50 miler with all VCs in camp and we had to go out on the same trail each time,
and the 3rd time she actually cut corners. Definetely the type of horse that
appreciates repition and does best when she knows exactly what's expected of
her. I always wondered whether that's typical for the breed - ?
At close to 16h and 1000lb, her working heart rate was considerably higher than
most Arabs I've ridden, but her recoveries were pretty good. And of course that
big trot! We got a lot of positive comments out on the trail. Most people
couldn't tell what breed she was, I think out here in California there are just
not enough Standardbreds around, which might also explain why we only see such
few crosses. The only problem Annie ever ran into during those endurance rides
was in her lower back, once in a while she'd go off and the chiropracter
thought it's a stretched ligament from an old injury. Certainly not breed
specific.
One difference to my Arabs though was that it took noticably more conditioning
to keep her in shape. And under saddle, it feels more, well, like riding a big
horse. If I had more room, time and money, I'd breed her to a nice arabian
endurance sire to hopefully get all her great traits combined with a bit more
lightness - just a personal preference.

Kirsten
Topanga, Ca