Re: [RC] bolting issue - DaNel Resha

When your horse bolts pull only on one rein and bend your horse to a stop.  If you completely drop one rein and put with just one he won't have any momentum to go forward.

Test it yourself.

Put your bridle in your hands.  One hand on either side of the bit.  Have someone else pull the reins (trying to stop you) and you try to go forward.

Then tell this person to drop one rein.  You will be spin to a stop.

Once you learn this you will also be less jumpy and nervous in these areas because you will be able to control the horse and he will sense it.

DaNel

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A few months ago, my horse was chased by a 4-wheeler while I was riding. The bike stayed right behind him, and he bolted for about 3/4 of a mile. The kid on the bike said he didn't realize he was spooking the horse afterwards (he stopped after I jumped off at full gallop; we were about 30 yards from a highway w/ traffic and I was not sure that the horse would stop; he was so scared). Anyway, this is my main training area for our rides, and he has been nervous and jumpy since when riding. He has tried to bolt a few times since, and gives absolutely no indication prior; it is 0 to 120 in a half second. I am able to bring him in check a few seconds later, but want to help him get over this. Walking him next to noisy things doesn't help; he is fine if I am on the ground. Only when I ride within a few miles from where it happened;he keeps his ears cocked and is EXPECTING something to scare him. if I trailer him to another locale, he is also fine. Any helpful hints on breaking this new habit? Also, would a martingale help control any bolting (someone suggested this to me). Any help would be appreciated; thanks!!!