[RC] Standardbreds and Part Standardbreds in Endurance - Carolyn Burgess

Jon:

It actually makes perfect sense.  The reason that they are called "Standardbreds" is that they were bred to a "Standard", that being that they could cover a certain distance in a standard time.  I don't know what the standard is now, but you can still get a horse registered as a Standardbred this way.

There are both trotters and pacers in the racing world, but they all pace.  My guy when he gets nervous or excited still paces.  He has been know to pace out of the start of a competitive trail ride, and people will ask my husband, what the heck is he doing.  It is the nicest gait to ride to, as are all lateral gaits.

Carolyn Burgess

Jon.Linderman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
BTW, not to confuse the issue, but not all std breds are "standard". They
must at least have a std bred mom, but you will see on a std breds papers
from the USTA a line for "STANDARD" and the answer in that column is yes or
no. It is also listed in the sales books at spped sales. In theory,
though it isn't common, dad could be non-standard, sometimes unregistered
or a TB thrown in, maybe other things I am not aware of. Not sure if its
true, but someone once told mew Earle's horses could actually go to the
track if he wanted to & be registered as non-standard standard breds.....if
that makes sense.

Jon

Carolyn Burgess
Email: