[RC] Competing Standardbred's in Endurance - Carolyn Burgess

I will probably hear alot about this one, but this is my breed of choice for this sport.  He is a trotting machine.  He just started cantering this season, but I don't really need canter to finish.  He is not the fastest horse out there (we finish a 50 in the 7 - 71/2 hour range), but boy can he move at the trot.  Most horses have to canter or hand gallop to keep up with his trot if I open him up.

I'd like to do a 100 some day, but my current Standardbred is not a 100 mile horse.  Every once and a while I think that I might HAVE to buy an Arab.  Then I took my husband's Arab to a trail ride a few weekends ago, to give the Standardbred some much deserved rest.  I forgot that it was like riding a pogo stick without a brain.  And this guy is 21!  It takes about 5 - 7 miles for his brain to turn on, and by then he has already expended 100 miles worth of energy, most of it being vertical.

Carolyn Burgess

Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<<< trotting fool and everything about his conformation, head and ears said Standardbred.>>>

Carolyn Burgess
Email:
carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 1-978-897-6624