[RC] First Step - JANUSTUDIO

The First Step

Sometimes it is hard to find those things that actually do get better as we
age. Mainly because those things that make us notice the changes are so darn
inconvenient. Just when we think we have things figured out, our bodies aren't
willing to perform the task...<g>

Being distance riders, we seem to make ourselves go beyond what most would
endure, just to be once again on that horse and flying down the trail with the
addictive wind in our eyelashes...
We are forever  thinking, ‘just one more season'...' ‘just one more
horse'... ‘just one more ride!'

However, when one of those wondrous things do come along, we, as we age, do
tend to recognize it and feel blessed. That ‘ONE THING', so Jack Palance
would
say, is grandchildren! Now here is someone who can benefit from ones years of
knowledge, such as it is. Here at last is someone who believes everyone word
you say. Here is a tiny being that loves you without reserve, here is the next
generation of distance riders...with energy to burn!

To those of us who have become grandparents, grand aunts or uncles, that
blessing is nearly overwhelming! When those small booted feet finally reaches
his/her stirrups and insists on riding without a lead line attached, then, oh
that
thrill becomes a joy! Our own aches and pains fade to a quiet rumble as we
step into that honored role as mentors.

I suppose if you've read this far, you have guessed that one of my own
grandchildren has reached that mark at last!! I was beginning to wonder if I
could
last long enough to become the person that could introduce her to the delights
of the open trail.

The day finally came that we could actually go to a trail in our area and
ride an actual trail. I had planned to do it this past summer, but one thing
after another, kept us at home. We've done the ‘riding on the farm' thing,
but
that isn't the same as trailering to a trail, saddling up and going out ‘into
the
woods' as she refers to it. She was out of school in honor of election day,
the weather smiled on us, the woods were beautiful, and her smiles were wide
with anticipation.

I had purchased a cute little Arab gelding four years ago, with just this day
in mind. My excuse at the time was ‘One always needs a back up horse...'  I
have ridden him a little, and found that we just didn't fit each other. Jack is
one of those rare ‘no go' Arabs. He much prefers the boredom of the arena to
the open trail. No matter how far you go out, his head or ear is turned toward
the barn. If out on the trail, his mind is always in ‘lets go back' mode. He
would happily leave his pals to do so. His gait is rough, he has a dropped
shoulder, he's very stiff to the right, and he's had a touch of founder in his
past.  But, he still  has feet to die for, a very sweet, very sensible
personality, a tough little round body that can go and go. Best of all,  he
fits Paige
just right.

I have to say that I was probably more anxious than she was. That age
related, experience thing... But, Jack was a very good boy, even though when he
saw
that Paige was actually going to load him in that trailer that the other horses
normally go into, he refused to be lead out of the barn. Silly boy, Granny
Jan is there too, with that awful voice of insistence...<g> This proves to me
that when I bring home the horse that just did a ride, they actually do tell
the
horses that stayed home just what his weekend was like!

We set off to pick up ‘dear and patient friend', Mary Lynn Stockdale and her
horse Breezze.

Paige is of the age that every single movement you do is cause for
observation and questioning. How interesting to see mundane things fresh and
new again.

Once on the trial, it was my horse, naturally, who saw spooks in the windy
day. I had a lead rope on Jack to get us started, but it was no time when
everything seemed to fall into place and I took it off. Paige was smiling big
time
then. We mostly walked on the easiest trail Cave Run has to offer, and Paige
was soon asking when we were going to trot. A good sign of a future endurance
rider if I ever heard one...
It was so cool to ‘see' the trail through new and wondrous eyes, to be the
one to introduce her to the joys of ‘wind in your eyelashes'.
Jack did his job admirably and took care of his little rider, as we
negotiated the trail. Paige had to do some thinking for herself, as we had to
go off
trail on occasion to get around fallen trees and brush. The only glitch we had
was getting him over a fallen tree that he deemed too big to go over. Something
we will have to work on, as even though (mean Granny Jan) got him over it, he
did it in an extremely ungraceful manner...<g>

Paige loved the creeks, loved the trotting she finally got to do, and loved
being the master of a wonderful little horse of her own. The day could not have
been more perfect as we let the horses dry off back at the trailer munching
hay, ate Mary Lynn's turkey sandwiches, drank down some water, then headed for
the Dairy Queen to top off our day with, Blizzards!

Now of course, Granny Jan is plotting next year's ride schedule to include
Paige's first year of competition...

Paige ~ six miles down, thousands to go....

A special thanks to Mary Lynn and Breezze, for being the back door...<g>