Re: [RC] Anyone familiar with mules on the list?? - LSimoni197

Debby,

Several reasons.  Mules tend to have very little, to no withers.  Keeping a saddle in place is always a problem.  Mules have tended to be pack animals, many are picked up after they have had some pack string training where a breeching is always used.  So, something is needed to keep a saddle in place and the breeching is a tool they may already be used to.  For our Arabs we would use a crupper, but our need is less severe.  I am sure you have friends who have tried to ride their Arab without the proper crupper training.  They will always land on their head.  Mules might object to a crupper even more strenuously, well they do seem to look for reasons to go off bucking.

Lynge