Re: [RC] [RC] does weight really matter? - tom noll

Greetings,

Tim Tweitmeyer is a phenomenal athlete and one of the all-time greats, but I believe that the runners were given a bit of a head start at the 50th Tevis this year.  I am not sure but I think the runners were spotted one or two hours.

Also, you can compare the runners with the riders by looking at the course records for both on the websites.  I think the Tevis rider record is about 2 to 3 hours faster than the runner record (10:46 compared with 15:36 -- be sure to add the holds to the rider time).

So, the factoid that "The horse is the fastest land animal at any distance over the quarter mile" appears to hold true.  My advice...bet on the horses!

But, when the chips are down and you have to walk your horse in, being a distance athlete can mean the difference between finishing and a pull -- something that I should have done more than once.

Best Regards,

Tom Noll
SW Idaho