RE: [RC] [RC] treeless saddle for "withered" horse - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

I wrote this review of the Wintec wide for ridecamp in July, but for some
reason it didn't go through. We have since sold and fitted this saddle to an
Arab X saddlebred. The 18s are here now, but I haven't got one yet. I don't
have much experience with the 2000 or pro dressage, but the wide is not as
forward cut as the 2000 and not as wide across the seat as the dressage.

I got a Wintec wide saddle in and thought I would share my observations:

 The first thing I noticed is that the cut is different from the 500. The
flaps are more vertical and the panels are deeply gusseted (extend behind
the tree).   It looks very much like a Sommer or Avanti Haflinger  model: a
call to the distributor confirmed that this model is sold as the Wintec
Haflinger in Europe. The straighter flap accommodates bulky shoulders and
the built up seat lets you sit on the wide ones without your hip joints
feeling like pop-it beads.  A Y girthing system has been added to increase
lateral stability.  It takes a dressage girth

  My wide test horse is a 5yr. old Haflinger. According to the weight tape
Nelson stands 13.3, has 8 1/2" cannons and weighs 1095. He wears a 21"
collar. The saddle comes with 3 gullet plates, ranging from lilac to purple.
It can also use the white (extra wide) and red (wide) plates from the
standard set. Note: using the purple plates in a standard Wintec will damage
the tree and they are not sold separately for this reason, they include all
3 plates with the wide saddle.

  As you probably know any mismatch between the width of the saddle and the
width of the horse will cause the saddle to shift to one side or the other
of center.  A 500 with an extra wide tree shifted before I could even girth
it up.  The Wide stayed centered.  It shifted minimally when I mounted from
the ground.  When Nelson spooked, did a 180 and bolted 20 ft. the saddle
stayed right with him and so did I.  I wasn't even frightened, and I have a
broken back, remember.  When he did a similar move last May in a sports
saddle with my eldest son's girlfriend, the sport saddle slipped, and she
fell off.  I give the saddle high marks for stability and security. I was
surprised to find I was comfortable in riding tights and low boots without
halfchaps, probably due to the y-girthing and long billets. With the built
up seat, I was comfortable on this pony who is so wide that, when I ride
bareback, my crotch doesn't make contact with his back. The down side of
this is the built up seat makes the saddle run small. I have the 17 1/2 "
model; it is marginal for me at 5'9" & 160#.  My youngest son @ 6'2" finds
it very small. The distributor promises an 18" model coming out this fall.

   Although the panel cut is more suitable for trail riding, I found that
the saddle put me in a very good position for jumping