Re: [RC] Cold Weather Ridng - after care - Wayne Delbeke

Here in Central Alberta, along the footihills of the Rocky's in "Faraway, Alberta" (real name, just north of Rocky Mountain House) we had a foot of snow last week. This week it has been sunny and warm .. up to 5 C in the day (41 F). We normally ride quite happily to 20 below C ( - 8 F). In fact the horses do best at -5 C to -15C than warmer because they do not sweat as much and the riding temperature in a snow suit and Sorels (snow boots) is great.

As mentioned by Stephanie M, the biggest thing is to make sure they are dry when you are done. This can be done by regulating your pace, slowing down at the end of your ride so they can dry, or if riding hard, use a wool lined blanket and or fleecy under to wick the moisture off at the end of a ride. We usually feed after a ride in the snow and the horses are usually dry shortly after they have eaten. If lightly sweated up, we usually take the blankets off in an hour or two and the horses will then roll in the snow to get rid of any residual dampness and to fluff up their hair.

If really wet, they may get blanketed overnight, but then they usually need brushing to get the salt out of their hair so it can fluff up and keep them warm.

But we get our moisture in the solid form from October to April. The worst time is in the summer- winter and winter-summer transitions when they get wet and cold and no way to keep warm except shiver.

Love winter riding, in fact lately we have been riding more in the snow than in the summer. Too many things to get done in the summer. In winter the horses are barefoot and ring in the snow keeps their feet worn down. Seldom trim a horse from October to May as the frozen ground keeps them looking like a ferrier has been on them all year.

Happy Halloween, and good sledding.

Wayne Delbeke