Re: [RC] [RC] Beet pulp. - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought the goal of using beet
pulp was to get roughage and water into the gut as efficiently as
possible. We use the hard, molasses-free pellets and let them soak
at least 12 hours. We then add the appropriate
grain/feed/supplements for each individual horse, and then
additional water to make a sloppy mash. We have assumed there is
virtually no nutritional value to the pulp itself. Since the
primary risk to the horse is dehydration why wouldn?t you soak as
much water into the pulp, regardless if it is pellets or shavings?
<<

While I agree with you that *one* of the benefits of feeding
soaked beet pulp is to get water into your horses, it's certainly
not the only goal.

Beet pulp is 10% protein & 18% fiber.  It is far from lacking
in nutritional value.  I would suggest you take a look at
Susan's breakdown on beet pulp:

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/beetpulp.shtml

Beet pulp is GREAT stuff for hard keepers, and particularly for
older horses and metabolically challenged horses (Cushings, IR,
laminitic).

As for the sugar content in beet pulp: I totally agree that the
residual sugars or even added molasses in beet pulp should not
be enough to cause any problems for normal healthy horses.  The
horses where rinsing and draining are a good idea are those
that are NOT normal & healthy.  And, this whole thread started
over a horse that is being tested for IR -- if that horse should
test as IR, rinsing & draining would be a good idea, IMO.

And FWIW, most of my horses seem to prefer their beet pulp really
wet and sloppy with lots of extra water.  My special needs horse
likes it that way, and she also appears to like it even more now
that I rinse, drain, and then add a bit more water to make it
sloppy again.

Oh, and if you haven't read it, you *must* read the "Beet Pulp
Safety Warning" on Susan's site. :-)

~Nicole