Re: [RC] Beet pulp. - Marv Walker

At 03:17 PM 10/29/2004, Dean A. Conti wrote:
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought the goal of using beet pulp was to get roughage and water into the gut as efficiently as possible. We use the hard, molasses-free pellets and let them soak at least 12 hours. We then add the appropriate grain/feed/supplements for each individual horse, and then additional water to make a sloppy mash. We have assumed there is virtually no nutritional value to the pulp itself. Since the primary risk to the horse is dehydration why wouldn?t you soak as much water into the pulp, regardless if it is pellets or shavings?

When we had the horses at this farm I'd mix up the feed, oats, pellets
and BP shreds and then soak it all.

Then I'd dole it out and fill the feed pails with enough water to cover
the slop again and then let them at it.

It was kind of noisy with all the bubble blowing but they loved it.  When
they finished the pails were practically licked dry.

Marv "Bubble Blowing Breakfasts." Walker