Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] UAE,WEC,My Last Post On It (Promise...) - Truman Prevatt

DVeritas@xxxxxxx wrote:
Dear Steph, and others,
    I would never propose to tell "individuals" what to do regarding their
individual lives, goals, aspirations, dreams, etc.  I certainly wouldn't try to
"shame" them regarding anything.
    I know about "investing" in things.
    Investing time, money, emotion, etc. is (at best) a difficult thing for
each of us to do.
    Many of us on this list have invested in this country in different ways.
    On the National Team I know of several individuals who have offered years
of their lives in service to this country, some, the hardship (but unique
investment) of military service in times of war, in times of peace, some, years
of their lives in service to our endurance organization, some, years of hard
work and untold personal hardship just to participate in our sport.
    What it takes for many of us to pursue the sport of endurance is one of
the things which make (should make it) something special.  An opportunity to
appreciate the fruit of our labors (albeit a "labor of love"), is each of our's
reward.
    One of my concerns was where we, as the AERC organization stood on the
issues regarding the allegations of child slavery in the UAE, and whether we
shouldn't look more closely at it and, if warranted, take a stance.
    If "individuals" participate in the UAE at the WEC, clearly and totally
up to them.
    As an organization, I maintain that each member of that organization is
entitled to have a say regarding the UAE and its "influence" on the AERC.
    I've had my say.
When they go as an individual it is up to their own conscience. However, when they go representing the AERC it is an issue for the collective conscience of the membership. When they go standing under the flag of the United States of America as the National Team, the collective conscience of the United States is involved. International sports never has nor never will be devoid of politics and it never will as long as there is the representation of a country. When you stand there representing the AERC and the US you take on a much bigger responsibility on your shoulders.

I support the Natinal Team and Steph I hope there wasn't an intended implacation that some of us don't. I do not support, however, and official presence of a US team in the UAE representing both the AERC and the people of the United States.

Like Frank, I've said my peace. This is my last post of this - however, I will not let it die. I will continue to lobby my federal elected officials to push the State Dept to take a stand.

Truman

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin