[RC] Joe Schoech DAL nomination part 1 - Truman Prevatt

This is posted for Joe Schoech

AERC Director-at-Large Nominee - Joe Schoech (Shay) – AERC # 10024

  • Where I come from:

I am a native Virginian from a military family that moved around the US and internationally, as many military families do.  My lifelong association with horses began in the hills and mountains of the Virginia countryside.  I have lived near Atlanta, GA for the last 25 years.  I was introduced to endurance riding in 1991 and I have participated in Limited Distance, and most open division distances since.  I began competing on an Appendix Quarter Horse, who I am now starting on his second career in Equine Search and Rescue. On my second horse, an Arabian, I have competed in past years in the National Championships.  I have been active in other sports and currently also enjoy backpacking and ocean kayaking.

  • Where I am now:

I am starting a new horse (another Arabian) and plan to ride him in some LD events next season along with competing my older Arab in some 50 mile events and maybe a 100, if things go well.

 I have been the Trails Chairman for SERA (Southeastern Endurance Riders Assn.) for the last three years and an active participant in the SETC (Southeastern Equine Trails Conference), one of the premier trails conferences in the country.  I am a member of the AERC Trails Committee and have worked with Jerry Fruth and other committee members on important trails issues in the southeast.  SERA’s work with the horse trail system in the Talladega National Forest has been recognized by the National Forest Service.  This trail work has been instrumental in advancing the construction of new trails to replace condemned trails, resulting in the return of endurance riding to the Talladega National Forest for the past three years.  This past summer, my wife and I made the trip to the Ft. Stanton Pioneer ride in NM. I saw, first hand, how much can be accomplished when good relationships are fostered between AERC and a land manager (the BLM).

I am also proud to be a member of the AERC Limited Distance Committee.  I strongly believe that LD participants deserve to be recognized with a national mileage award, regional and national Best Condition awards and a senior rider recognition program.

I have helped develop a new rider education package here in the southeast where we conduct “New Rider” briefings at rides.  We help new riders understand the sport by explaining the importance of the welfare of their horse, the value of “To Finish Is To Win” and what to expect in their first “big endurance adventure”.  We provide some printed material that the new riders can take home which offer some general training and nutritional guidelines for their future in our great sport of endurance.

I feel that I understand the sport of endurance from the ground, not only through trail work, but also as a frequent ride volunteer and in ride management. When I am not riding, you are likely to find me working as a volunteer in any needed capacity to actively do all I can to improve the quality of our rides and to make the ride a good and safe experience for the riders and for the horses.

 Although I have never competed as an FEI participant, I support AERC’s relationship with the international equine community, while maintaining its independence and leadership position in endurance competition.  I feel there is ample room in our organization for those with the ability, time and support to compete internationally.

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin