RE: [RC] [RC] Crupper & dressage saddles - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have one, but it won't attach to long billets. Any ideas how to
make it work? I have a Y rigged Wintec.

Hi Steph,

Uh.  You must have one of those Wintecs that doesn't have the
normal top & bottom flaps?  I forgot that at least one of the
Wintec models is like that.  Most dressage saddles have long
billets, that's normal, but most also have regular top & bottom
flaps like most any English saddle.  My Wintec dressage is one
of the mid-range models with the psydo-leather ("Equileather")
and looks and functions like most any dressage saddles, with
regular flaps.  However, I went ahead and had a saddle guy put
a ring on it for the crupper since I already owned a crupper
and it was cheaper to put on the ring than to buy another
crupper.  Plus I have no intentions of showing upper level in
this saddle. <g>  The only thing I don't like about the ring is
that the saddle guy was a western saddle maker and didn't have
the hardware for the attachment I really wanted, so it's a plain
ring instead of the nicer looking bracket (I'm sorry, I'm having
a total blank on the correct name for the piece of hardware).

There have been a couple suggestions about hooking the crupper
to the front rings.  If that works, great!  I thought about
rigging something like that (with baling twine <g>), but then
I got to thinking that on a really steep hill that might cause
the saddle to put extra pressure on the front and dig into the
horse.  I have no idea if that's really the case, it was purely
a possibility that occured to me.

Oh, FWIW, I also added those extra temporary dee rings to the
front of the saddle: the kind that slip over the stirrup hangers.
That way the breastcollar can attach to something more sturdy
than the front rings that come on the saddle.  The saddlebag
then attaches to the regular dee rings on the front.

That saddle is no longer my trail/distance saddle.  It was great
for a long time, but then started causing white patches. :(  I
still use it for dressage work -- none of the horses have any
pain-reactions from it -- just not for lots and lots of miles.

~Nicole