[RC] endurance riding shoes - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jonni jonnij@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When you go to choose a riding shoe, consider a couple things. Will you be
getting off the horse and walking or running with it? If so, are your trails as
such, you need a little extra grip in the tread of the shoe? Those who do run a
lot with their horses often end up with a running shoe made for trail use.
Stores that specialize in running shoes will often take the time to really fit
you in the proper shoe, watch how you run, and find one that is best for your
needs. You usually won't get that kind of service at the large sporting good
stores.

If you want some sort of heel on the shoe, more and more boot makers, are
making shoes that are athletic riding shoe/boot combos. As mentioned by others,
Ariat has the Terrain, and now another model called the Tundra. I think it is
best to try them on, and not just mail order a pair, and hope the fit. Even the
men's "D" width is not wide enough for me, yet many find the ladies TOO wide
for them. I have been happy with the Roper brand "Horseshoes". They have very
little tread, which is my only complaint when I do get off to walk some, I'd
like a tad more grab. (but we have very few real hills here in TX, so I don't
have the slip issue like I would running down hill elsewhere)

Most folks seem to find a shoe or boot that works, and often buy a couple
pairs, to keep on hand when they wear a pair out. Seems just when I find
something I really like the fit, then they get discontinued. <sigh>

Shoe shopping can sometimes be as bad as saddle shopping!

Jonni