From: Elite
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] TN trailer tags

    I've never been stopped.   But called Nashville on this issue a couple years ago and they said that although it's been overlooked, you are supposed to have a tag on it.  If you were stopped for another offense they "could" also ticket you for not haveing a tag.  I think they were wanting to collect the sales tax on a new trailer that you have to pay when you register them and are buying plates.   Our county (Susan and I, Loudon) will charge you sales tax, and that is quite a bit on a new LQ.  But if we drive to the county south of us (Roger R's, Monroe) they don't charge the sales tax, they consider it farm equipment and not taxable.    Doesn't sound like there's much consistancy in this state about such things, so you are apt to get any answer.

Linda

Susan (or anyone else from Tennessee)

Just out of curiosity - have you ever been hassled by police in other states without a tag on your trailer?

Truman