Re: [RC] UAE Involvement in AERC Functions - heidi

This is not about "playing ball",
This is not about "picking up our marbles",
This is not about "a member of the (UAE) royal family",
This is not about "the FEI"
This is not about "rhetoric"...
It is simply about children.

Frank, certainly it is about children.  But our one lever as endurance
riders is FEI.  And what I have seen so far, except from Jerry Fruth, is
simply rhetoric.

This transcends riding horses, World Championships, the USA hosting WEC
races. This transcends our organization.

Yes, it does.  And it should be addressed at other levels as well.  But
since this is an endurance riding list, we should be looking HERE for ways
to address it through our sport.  Since the only lever in endurance riding
is FEI, we need to be MORE involved with FEI, not less, in order to exert
what pressure we can.

But, it is certainly "in the ballpark" for a nation who cares more about
 human rights than they care about "sports".

Are we that nation?

If we ARE that nation, then we will use what levers we have, which
includes our sport.  I certainly hope that other levers will be used as
well--but this isn't a list about politics, it is a list about endurance.
So I have confined my remarks to how we can use endurance as a lever.  We
have no lever in our sport at all if we don't keep the UAE involved in the
sport at the FEI level, and then exert pressure through FEI by how WECs
are located, etc.  And we have no lever if WE are not involved in FEI,
giving FEI choices as to where to locate WECs, other than the UAE.  AS A
SPORT, that is one small difference we CAN make, in the greater scheme of
things.  And it is many small efforts that translate into larger success.

I'd add that it is through the sport that the UAE sees us as "we the
people."  While this does need to be addressed through other channels as
well, too often countries like the UAE think that they can go around
governments and still get their way with people.  The only way that we as
a sport can make a statement is to continue to play the game--but to
insist on our own standards.  It will be our ACTIVE involvement in the
selections that FEI makes for host countries and our willingness to pick
up the tab to host events in other countries that makes a statement, not
our staying home from the game.

Heidi