RE: [RC] corn oil for gastric ulcer prevention? - Jim Holland

Kathy, search the archives on this.  There are lots of good posts from Susan Garlinghouse regarding feeding and storing corn oil.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike & Kathy Kelly
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 7:42 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] corn oil for gastric ulcer prevention?

I just read in the Nov issue of Equus (p 15) that a study showed that adding corn oil to a horses daily rations may help to prevent gastric ulcers.  They recommend feeding 3/4 cup daily.

I am planning to try this with Gabriel (my endurance horse), I don't have any reason to think he has ulcers, and I'd sure like to keep it that way!

Any comments from vets on this?  Is there anything I need to know about feeding corn oil?  I'm assuming that keeping it refrigerated is all I need to do......and that I can mix it in with beet pulp and daily supplements.

Kathy Kelly

Parks AZ