[RC] message from Pat Oliva - steph teeter

Title: Message
(sorry Pat, a little late - and John will fix your subscription)

-----Original Message-----
From: PatOlivatigger@xxxxxxx [mailto:PatOlivatigger@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 8:25 AM
To: stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: access to ridecamp

 <snip>

Jerry- I want you to know I support this idea a 100%.  Maryland requires that you take classes in trail construction and maintenance before you are allow to work on trails in the state parks.  Some of the counties do not want you to work on trails until they have trained you on the proper way.  But_ with all the budget cuts and staff reductions there is nobody available to train you.

The bikers have produced some impressive tapes and slides on the design of trails, their placement and construction.  .

As a state mounted patrol volunteer I have seen the results of some well meaning groups who stepped in and worked on rebuilding trails will very bad results.  It has to be done right.
One well trained person can direct a group of untrained workers if they have the respect of their state DNR

Just a note to the person who asked about the Marciante saddle.  It was the award for 1st LW in the early 80's and I used it for years.  Sadly the tree is breakable when you drive over it with a fully loaded trailer.  I bought another one and really had problems with accepting the workmanship.  It was almost six months before I finally accepted it.Four years ago I needed another saddle .  Frank had sold his saddle to someone in NM and they are now in CO. In the late 90's I bought a saddle from them.  It arrived without a hitch .  They are a pleasure to work with and I highly recommend the saddle.  It is not deluxe and the normal income family can afford it.  Pat Oliva