[RC] CTR rules - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I rode NATRC as a junior rider, I had no problem with the
rules or the judging.  I came from a show background (hunter/jumpers),
so I was used to being judged.  Plus, of course, I was a junior,
so I was used to being judged. <g>

That was also in the days when NATRC riders would tell horror
stories about how crazy endurance riders were.  I think some of
those misconceptions are still around, but I do think it's better
than it was then.  Of course, maybe back then the endurance riders
*were* crazy and just ran their horses into the ground with a
win-at-all-costs mentality.  <eg>

However, even with the things other NATRC riders would tell me,
I *really* wanted to try endurance.  But, I'd also been told
that juniors needed a sponsor, and no one bothered telling me
that "juniors" in AERC lingo means 16, not 18, so I actually
could have gone to AERC rides when I hit 16.  And it wasn't
like today when you could just go look up the rules online, so
I just stuck with NATRC.  Plus, my main hindrance to competion
was getting a trailer ride and I had one for NATRC rides, but
didn't have one for endurance rides.

Anyway, I think the NATRC rules and judging are *very* informative,
especially for those just starting out in the sport of distance
riding. You may find you don't agree with all the comments on
your cards, but you can learn from them, even if it's just
learning to play the game (just like show competitors must do).

As an adult, I stepped out of any competition for many years. My
funds were limited, and as I sometimes have had as many as 10
horses, taking care of them and pleasure riding was enough for
me.  When the time came that I knew I really needed to get back
out in competion I went to a couple NATRC rides as well as my
first LD AERC rides.  I'm now doing 50s, with multidays planned
and can actually see 100s in my future.  I can still see the
value of NATRC for newbie horses and riders.  But, for ME, the
rules for a "level playing field" in some ways seem like they
can inhibit taking proper care of your horse (water at checks
being a biggie; I'm also not crazy about the "no forward motion"
on foot so you can't lead or tail your horse if you want).  I
have also found that the horsemanship judging gets on my nerves,
but that's just me.

Anyway, I think as others have said, CTR vs endurance is a
personal thing.  Some people find they love CTR (NATRC or other-
wise).  Some people love endurance.  And some love them both
for the time spent with their horses out on a nice long ride.

~Nicole
www.zephyrarabians.com