[RC] [RC] from western saddles to english - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Anyway, I've tried an english saddle one time, and a
plantation flat saddle on a gaited horse years ago.  Allright
folks, I don't know how your staying in 'em!  I felt like I
was on a "beanie" on his back or riding a fence post!

Hi Lori,

I'm an English rider by nature and history.  Spent years riding
forward seat -- hunters, jumpers, and on the flat.  And I can't *stand* the
feel of a flat saddle, so I'm sure it felt truly
bizarre to a western rider!

 So what type of english saddle would you say a "deep seated
western rider" type need to make a good transfer to for security.

Well, first there is no reason you need to go to an English style
saddle.  Most endurance riders who ride English, IMO, do so b/c
that's how they are most comfortable.  There are tons of
endurance saddles that are built in a western style.

Second, if you really want to ride English -- and I personally
think it's a good idea to ride in various styles to find what
you really like best! -- I'd recommend a dressage saddle.  You'll
probably feel more secure than in a jump/forward seat, much more
secure than a flat saddle, and more secure than even in an
all purpose saddle (a saddle that theoretically is correct for
low jumps as well as lower level dressage).  I'd also recommend
some dressage lessons with a GOOD instructor, one who understands
your goals as a trail/distance rider vs dressage show plans.

~Nicole
www.zephyrarabians.com