Re: [RC] UAE Involvement in AERC Functions - heidi

Heidi,
Since I viewed the documentary last Tuesday I have been researching
beyond  the HBO report.  The UAE has a law on the books from 1980 and
reintroduced in  2002 that prohibits this action of child jockeys.  So
far I have over 10  independent sources of abusing this UAE law that
have occurred since 2002, including  several human rights organizations,
a united nations report, as well as the  expose from HBO.  We have been
involved with the UAE for over 10 years and they  are not following our
example....perhaps on paper but not in reality.  What is  the next step
when example does not work?  This will be the last public  statement I
will make on ridecamp on this subject.  If some riders choose to
participate side by side and accept sponsorships, and invitations from
those that  advocate child slavery so be it.

Let me see if I understand you correctly.  The UAE has laws on the books
against this atrocity.  But some still practice it in violation of the law
of the land.  In other words, it is not the UAE that should be boycotted,
but those individuals who still practice the atrocity, as the country
itself is making efforts to end the atrocity.

We also have laws on the books against hate crimes and racially oriented
crimes.  The KKK was founded in Pulaski, TN.  Does that mean I should
boycott rides in Tennessee, simply because there are still hate crimes?
North Idaho has pockets of white supremacists.  Does that tar and feather
my entire state?  I should hope not.  Should the UAE cease to deal with
US, because we have not entirely controlled those who perpetrate race
crimes?

This is a serious issue, and I am not trying to make light of it.  But I
still submit that our absence will do far less to correct the atrocities
than our continued involvement, coupled with the very blatant example of
equality for women in our sport (which is one of the BEST messages we take
with us--and I agree with Gabi--this is often the forerunner of the
improvement of the conditions for children).

Heidi