[RC] UAE - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: John Bass jbass@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Desert Racers

Camel racing, the oldest and most venerated sport in the Middle East, is a draw
for some of the region's wealthiest sheiks, whose stables compete for grandiose
prizes. Hidden behind lavish spectacles, however, is a disturbing reality. The
tiny jockeys who compete in these races are victims of a horrible slave trade,
all young boys who have been kidnapped or sold into slavery as mere infants. In
addition to enduring inhumane living conditions and beatings, the boys are
intentionally starved to keep their weight down. Weak from undernourishment,
some are maimed or killed while trying to pilot the 1500-pound camels. Using
hidden cameras, REAL SPORTS travels to the United Arab Emirates for a special
expanded report on the perilous lives of camel jockeys and the pitiless human
traffickers that exploit them. Correspondent Bernard Goldberg interviews John
Miller, a State Department ambassador at large, to determine whether the U.S.
government is doing enough to stop the practice in this tense political climate.
--------
This is an absolute outrage. The AERC should break all ties with
with the UAE, including a boycott of the upcoming WEC.
Just picture being either kidnapped or sold, starved, beaten, raped, sleeping
on the ground, penned like animals and haven't seen your 8th birthday yet.
Then you are strapped to the back of a 1500# camel wearing an
oversized helmet, not for protection, just so the shieks can see their stables
colors. You then use all the strength your 50 pound body can muster to guide
your camel to victory.
There are no spectators to watch you ride your million dollar camels, just the
shieks who have bet their buddies untold amounts of gold and cars.
These camel jockeys are just babies.

Granted I can't write as well as Lynne or Kat or Angie, I'm not educated like
Truman and many more on this list. But there is one thing I can do. I can smell
a skunk and this stinks.

In the past I've accused Howard of being a racist, not having any credibility
and a few more things. He gave Ridecamp a headsup on this. Listen to him.
Please. This needs to be dealt with.

John Bass
Beatty Nevada