[RC] western saddles - rides2far

So, are you saying that Crates is a "good" saddle or a not so good
saddle?

Crates is considered the top of the line western in this saddle factory
town. Big Horn and RR are one and the same saddle.

I've been thinking about a Big horn if this doesn't work for me.

I'm almost betting it sits you in much the same position. They didn't
alter anything in position when they went from western to endurance. I've
known some saddle makers who worked there and made saddles at their homes
on the side who just sawed the horn off a barrel tree to make an
endurance saddle.

 >>>OF western saddle?  what do the letters stand for?

Ortho-Flex, but there are other brands that look as if they have made
sort of half-breed English/Western.

I'm thinking it does have some decent resale value, but I'm not sure
what
it would be.

You could watch on e-bay or that saddles for sale site somebody
mentioned. Some saddle shops sell on consignment and have a good idea
what things are worth. I've gotten more for mine at those places even
with paying the consignment fee.

What brand is the Express?

Ortho-Flex

I'm definitely interested in
looking. If I could find a saddle that was 'western' but fit me like the
dressage saddle, I'd be in heaven.Of course, I'm not small...I'm a
heavyweight rider. I usually >>>ride in a 16 in western and an 18 inch
English. > One of the things that the saddle guy did was to shorten my
fenders > b/c my > legs are too short for hte saddle.

Sounds like you are short and with a large seat you may not be any better
of in an OF. If I get in a 16" seat OF with the length my legs are my
feet are every bit as far out in front of me as they are in a Big Horn.
I'd go to a ride and ask around to see if some people would let me try
their saddles on my horse after the ride.

If you're looking for a soft seat you might look at an Ortho-Flex
Stitchdown. It's got a heavily padded seat that looks like a motorcycle.
The flaps look dressage, stirrup leathers are English but have 2 settings
on the bar, one forward, one back. My friends have cut out the divider
and gone to the 2" biothane leathers.

Angie

Now includes pop-up blocker!