[RC] Back Pain - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary,D.C. bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello again, Dede--
It seems that you are really getting your money's worth in response to your
questions about back pain. I was delighted to read Alan Kay's comments about
back pain, and, while I agree on most of the issues he addresses, there are a
few that beg clarification. First let me say that as a veterinarian and an
internist, Alan's understanding of back pain, no doubt influenced by his own
personal experience, is impressive for a non-spinal health practitioner. He is
right when he says that many doctors will use oversimplified explanations of
back pain. He is also right that the causes of back pain are multiple, in that
there are multiple "pain generators" that can be involved. Nerve endings from
the disc, ligaments, joint capsule, muscles and other tissues constantly
monitor the physical activity, rate of activity and trauma the spine may be
experiencing.The pain pathways in the spinal cord  then "funnel"the information
from one or more sources to the brain for interpretation. Alan is again correct
that many chiropractors still refer to a very outdated model of the spine that
refers to "alignment" of vertebral segments as being the treatable cause of
back problems. The advent of MRI and other technnology and anatomy advances
have shown us that curved spines (or even degenerated spines like Alan's) can
be pain free, and straight spines can be in agony. Very few patients have
"pinched nerves" and only a scant few undergo surgery each year, compared to
the number who suffer with back pain.  Alan has done well to avoid surgery with
his history.
  While all of the above is true, I would take exception with a couple of
points Alan made regarding back pain. First, while back pain can be
multi-causal, diagnosing and treating back pain is not a complex mystery most
of the time. There are a few typical patterns of mechanical back pain, and they
differ from pain generated from a disc lesion. Pain in the back of the leg is
quite common, but is not usually an inflammation of the sciatic nerve. Any
astute practitioner will recognize the differences and order further diagnostic
testing (MRI, etc.,) when the answers aren't clear from the examination.
Fortunately, in diagnosis, when we hear hoofbeats, we think horses, not zebras.
Most back pain is indeed mechanical, with varying levels of muscular, joint,
and neurologic involvement adding to the picture. In this sense, Alan is right,
there is no "sole" cause of back pain. Those that treat back pain differ in
which of these factors they address, and to what extent.
Whoever understands the most about all the parameters, and can treat them with
a multi-faceted approach will enjoy the most success, regardless of the letters
behind their name.
  I disagree that physical therapy would be the best path to follow as your
"mainstay" for treating back pain. The term physical therapy is a general one
and encompasses everything from ice packs to complex strengthening programs, so
I'm not sure what exactly Alan is referring to here. Perhaps he can comment.
 I had never thought of the 2-visit trial for a chiropractor, but I think it's
an excellent idea--for all doctors you hire, for that matter. Many D.C.'s are
prone to overtreatment, so Alan's suggestion to find one that is highly
recommended will serve you well.

I agree that core strength is important for everyone and, until recently it
has been the primary focus of many back strengthening programs. As our
knowledge rarely remains static, more recently the discovery has been made that
in many people, (especially Americans, as we sit so much)there is a significant
loss of function of what are called the segemental muscles. These are very
tiny, but very important muscles that stabilize the spine before you engage in
core movement. When these become weak, they contribute to "instability" of the
spine. If you have ever made an innocent movement, like pulling on your socks,
reaching for a magazine or rolling over in bed and felt pain, you have
experienced instability. Most acute back pain results from these types of
circumstances. Most people presenting in my office have not lifted 300lbs or
chopped a cord of wood to cause their back pain. They usually get in trouble
from performing their normal daily duties. After proper treatment,these muscles
are retrained with new exercises performed while you are on an unstable
surface, such as an exercise ball. It has been shown that if these are
performed 5x a week with a well back, the recurrence rates of back pain goes
WAY down.
 So, follow Alan's advice-- stay active, work with someone who comes well
recommended and has a plan for your recovery, and, I would add, don't delay
treatment when a problem or injury arises.
   I will leave you with my favorite chiropractor joke:
    Q: How many chiropractors does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: Just one. But it takes 20 visits!
   All the Best, Bruce Weary, D.C.