[RC] Dede's Back Pain - Alan Kay

Hi Dede - I know your pain. I am a veterinarian with a pretty strong medical background (board certified internist), so I speak from this perspective. I have dealt with chronic serious on and off back issues for years. I have not had surgery, but both my sisters and mom have - there is obviously a genetic component. Here is the wisdom I offer you: Back pain is a very complex problem. No two people's back pain is the same thing. The causes are multifactorial and there is no simple explanation for what is causing the pain in your back. Doctors often like to make it sound simple. Many chiropractors will tell you your vertebrae are not aligned (and "adjustment" is not generally accepted as the mainstay of chiropractic anymore, despite what you may hear). Orthopedic surgeons may tell you that you have degenerating and slipped discs (the shock absorbers between vertebrae). Physical therapists will talk about muscle spasm and asymmetry. The bottom line is that all of these changes occur together and are all part of what happens in this complex problem. But no one has proven that any of these things are the sole cause of back pain. My own MRI shows severe degenerative disease of all of my lumbar vertebrae, with collapsed and herniating discs. But most of the time, I feel great and am very active. What I have learned is that you need to find a caretaker and system that works for you. If you have any neurologic deficits (numbness, tingling, weakness) in your legs, you should probably consult with your general practicitioner and then see a neurologist or orthopedic surgeon, who will likely recommend XRs and MRI. But keep in mind that these tests just help paint the picture of the state of your back - they don't pinpoint what is causing your current pain. You should also see a chiropractor that you trust or come highly recommended. Chiropractors vary more than any other professionals I have encountered - they have different philosophies, different approaches and different sensitivities. I would give a chiropractor no more than 2 visits to gain your trust and confidence - if not, try another. If you can find a chiropractor that works in conjunction with a physical therapist, so much the better. Physical therapy will likely be the mainstay of your therapy. Once you get through management of your current, acute pain, you will need to build up your core strength. This is what will keep your back strong and you active for years to come. It is easy to be discouraged early on, but believe me that with work, most people can recover to full function! Good luck!