Re: [RC] Back Pain - Lif Strand

At 10:19 AM 10/23/2004, goearth wrote:
Now, i try to lift with my legs and arms and let the back alone.

Lifting with legs and arms (and good posture) is something we all should do *before* we damage our backs, no?

When i went to school to be a gardner, they taught all this chemistry and useless stuff and sent me off into the world and never taught
me how to use a shovel or make money and they should have taught basic things, like how to work.

I was thinking just that as I typed the first line, above. People do need to be taught how to work (physically). Mentors/teachers/bosses should drum that into us from early on, just as much as good penmanship was drummed into us (or attempted, at least - had a fifth grade teacher who drummed it in with a ruler across the knuckles). Riding instructors need to do the same, but so do barn managers - it's not only how you sit a horse that matters, but how you lift the saddle, bale and feed sack.