Re: [RC] Pretty is as Pretty does - MtnRondi

In a message dated 10/22/2004 10:03:17 PM Pacific Standard Time, katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If one is of the mindset that pretty is as pretty does, there is no such
thing as "a competent horse that is butt-ugly."  The more competent the
horse the more beautiful it is.

I'll never forget my first trip to the Tevis in the early 80's. I walked through the fairgrounds and looked at all the horses that were waiting to be trailered up to Squaw Valley for the ride start. I just shook my head looking in wonder at the "ugly" and usually scrawny Arabs standing quietly in their pens.

Then I watched the front runners coming into Robinson Flat (first 1 hour hold) and I could not describe to you my feelings. These were the most beautiful horses I had ever seen. It put a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Tails up, eyes flashing, nostrils flared... perfectly tuned machines doing what they loved to do. Just beautiful!

Bonnie
So. Calif.